Budget is a concern for any business, but that’s doubly true for startups that have yet to establish a foothold in their industry. However, the needs of a startup business can be greater at first than those faced by one that’s been around for some time. Of those needs, few are more potentially costly than software.
Purchasing software licenses or SaaS platform subscriptions can be incredibly expensive, and startups don’t usually have the benefit of in-house development teams to create their own proprietary software solutions like larger companies do.
However, there is a third option: Outsourcing custom software development to third-party development companies.
Below, we’ll talk about some ways in which outsourcing software development can actually save money for startups while delivering a product that better serves their needs.
Software Development Ideas for Startups
A new company will have a lot of software needs. Some of those needs will be specific to the industry that the startup is operating in, and others will be needs shared by most companies.
For instance, an industry-specific need might be a mobile app that serves as a social network for a specific group of people. Or perhaps your startup needs a custom application that can give your workers out in the field access to a centralized database for project management.
For every possible type of startup business out there, there are so many possibilities for a custom developed solution that will fit that business’s needs.
Then there are software solutions for shared needs, like HR portals, invoice management platforms, marketing portals, etc.
While many of these solutions can be found in existing software, it’s hard to find one that will affordably deliver only for your needs. A custom software developer, on the other hand, will be able to build you exactly what you want, exactly how you want it.
Outsourcing Software Development Pros and Cons
As with anything, there are pros and cons to utilizing third-party software development services for startups. However, the pros generally outweigh the cons.
- It’s made specifically for you – The biggest pro is obviously that you can have your software made specifically to address your company’s needs, and the sky is pretty much the limit. That means the software itself can be made to fit into the things that make your startup unique, rather than the other way around.
- Get involved in the process – By commissioning custom software development services, you’re able to define the level of your own involvement in the development process. Want to be consulted on every phase of the build? No problem. Want to just give a well-thought out blueprint of your needs and let the company do the work? That works too. The important thing is that you get to decide.
- No need to ditch other software – One of the best things about custom software is that it can be built in a way that allows it to work with other software solutions that you’ve already purchased or you just happen to enjoy using. That means you save money by not having to replace your tools, but instead being able to keep them and integrate them into your new software’s workflows.
- Only get what you need – Instead of purchasing access to robust software platforms that you only really need for one or two specific functions, you can pay a smaller price to have software developed that only does what you need it to without the extraneous bells and whistles that you’ll never use.
- Choosing the wrong developer can be costly – There are a lot of custom software development services out there, and they’re not all created equal. Many developers will take your money and just try to rush something out the door, leaving you with a hefty bill and software that isn’t really a solution for your needs.
- So can poorly defined goals – For a custom software development project to be successful, the goals of that project need to be clearly defined before development begins. That means you have to have a clear vision for what you want the software to do. Jumping the gun and commissioning a project without these things in place can lead to a product that simply doesn’t do what you need it to do and, ultimately, waste money.
Why We’re the Pros
At Asahi Technologies, we’ve done software development for startups in New York City and around the world to create solutions that fit their needs. Our experience helps us avoid the cons listed above, and we’ll work with you to help you come up with the perfect custom software that works for you.
We understand that startups have unique needs, and we’ll work with you every step of the way to make sure that we can answer those needs with a mobile or web application in the most budget-friendly way possible.
If you think it’s time for your startup business to hire a custom software developer for your project that will overdeliver and save you money, please take a second to check out our reviews & testimonials and click the button to get a free consultation.